With the Notes widget, you can add plain text to your start.me page. Use it as a Post-it to quickly jot down a phone number or a name. Or spice it up with Markdown coding to upgrade your note to a regular instruction. This feature is especially useful for shared pages. Here's everything you need to know about our Notes widget.
- Add a Notes widget
- Add Markdown to your text
- Context menu
- Settings menu
- General Settings
1. Add a Notes widget [back to top]
Add a Notes widget, using the Add button
- Click the Add icon (Plus icon) in the top right corner.
- Click the "Notes. Add a block with your own notes" option.
- Start typing.
- Confirm your changes by clicking the Confirm button (Checkmark icon).
You can add as many Notes widget to your page as you'd like. You can note anything you like, however, we advise against jotting down passwords or other sensitive information. Your start.me page is not designed for this feature. We advise using a dedicated password app, like LastPass or Dashlane.
2. Add Markdown to your text [back to top]
Change the appearance of text in your Notes widget, like adding bold, Italic or underline. Just add a simple Markdown command to your text.
- <b> Bold </b>
- <i> Italic </i>
- <u> Underline </u>
Other HTML commands are also supported. Here's an example of the many possibilities Markdown has to offer:
# Heading ## Sub-heading ### Another deeper heading Paragraphs are separated by a blank line. Two spaces at the end of a line leave a line break. Text attributes _italic_, *italic*, __bold__, **bold**, `monospace`. Horizontal rule: --- Bullet list: * apples * oranges * pears Numbered list: 1. apples 2. oranges 3. pears A [link](http://example.com).
Result in Notes widget
Another deeper heading
Paragraphs are separated by a blank line.
Two spaces at the end of a line leave a
Text attributes italic, italic, bold, bold,
3. Context menu [back to top]
Access the context menu by clicking the Menu button (Downward arrow icon) in the top right corner of your Notes widget.
You can start editing your note and copy or move the entire widget to another page. You can also delete the Notes widget or open the Settings pane, to personalize it even more. And there's a quick access to the help section (this very article).
4. Settings menu [back to top]
Here you can change the appearance and behavior of your Notes widget. The title of your note, colors, transparency, all of this can be accessed here.
5. General Settings [back to top]
Change the title of your Notes widget by double-clicking on the title. Or open the Settings pane and change it there. You can also decide the Height of your widget: you can decide here if your widget will show the entire text or only parts of it. This is most useful when you're adding longer texts.
You can also change the icon by uploading your own or selecting one from our database. Click Done to save your changes.
6. Background settings [back to top
Change the color of your Notes widget. Set the transparency to blend into the background. We've chosen yellow as the default option, but you can change it easily by clicking and selecting a new color.
Apply the settings for this widget to all widgets on the page.
7. Resources [back to top]
- If you want to learn more about Markdown, you can start with this article from our blog: https://blog.start.me/how-to/markdown-bookmark-pages/
- We've also written a second article about more advanced Markdown features: https://blog.start.me/how-to/markdown-bookmark-pages-bullets-headings/