We designed start.me to save all your changes automatically. However, since you can also use start.me as an anonymous user, you could lose everything.
Here's how you can prevent this.
- You can only use start.me as an anonymous user after installing the free extension. You can find this extension in the Chrome Web Store, the Firefox Add-on store, or the Edge extension store.
- If you add our extension to your browser, the first thing we'll offer is a short onboarding sequence, where you can personalize your start.me pages. This is also where you can create a free account.
- If for some reason you decide not to follow this sequence, you won't create an account. This is the moment you'll use start.me as an anonymous user.
Your changes are saved and preserved, but they are not connected to your e-mail address or account. That's why we display the banner to Register for free.
- We will also display a pop-up if you decide to log out.
- Now, if you decide not to register and you want to log out, or if your system clears your browser cookies, we won't be able to reconnect your changes to your computer or browser again. Your changes aren't lost, but there's simply no way to reconnect them to any user. They are saved anonymously, and no longer accessible.
What you could do before logging out, if you really don't want to create an account with us, is export your bookmarks and RSS feeds. This doesn't save the entire page, but at least your bookmarks and news feeds are safe.
- If you can't access your account, you can always contact our support staff to see if there's a problem they might be able to solve. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.