All start.me features are accessible from your browser. But, if you want to quickly add bookmarks while surfing, or set your New tab page, you'll need our free extension. Here's everything you need to know:
1. Key features [back to top]
- Set your browser new tab page to a start.me page
- Add bookmarks while you surf
- Search your bookmarks from the address bar
- Import your bookmarks
- Set Shortcuts
2. Installation [back to top]
Our extension works in all major browsers, including Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Vivaldi, and most of our other partners.
- Open the Chrome Web Store and search for "start.me". You can also click here. Firefox users can click here. Edge users click here.
- Install the Extension. Chrome or Chromium users click the Add to Chrome button. Edge users click Get.
- Next, we ask you the permissions we need make start.me work correctly. On start.me we care about your privacy. That's why we limit the personal data we collect. We do need your permission to be able to communicate with our servers, to display your start.me page, and to change the new tab page to your start.me page. For more information about your Privacy, read our Privacy declaration first. Then click Add extension (or Add in Firefox). Edge turns all extensions off by default, so you'll have to turn it on first.
- After this, you will start the onboarding process. If you already have a start.me account, you can skip this part. Click the arrow to continue, or the X to abort.
Note: There is no New Tab Add-On for Firefox. Read this article for a workaround.
3. Add bookmarks [back to top]
If you want to bookmark a page, click the extension icon. Now, you'll see a few options:
- Click Add bookmark to save the page immediately. It will use the default name of the site as the title. Your bookmark will be saved to the last bookmarks widget you've added a bookmark to. This is the fasted way to create a bookmark.
- Change the Title, as well as the destination page and widget of your new bookmark.
- If you want to add a description or change the URL, you can do this by clicking the link Change description & URL.
- If you decided to opt out of bookmarking, you can click Close window or hit the X in the top right corner of your Extension window.
4. Set New tab page [back to top]
Click Options in your Extension window to open a new window within the app. Now you can quickly select the New tab page you prefer. To save this setting, just click outside the extension window.
Now, next time you open a new tab in your browser, you'll see the start.me page of your choice instead of the default browser tab page.
You might have to refresh the list when you switch between start.me accounts. In that case, click Refresh list.
5. More options [back to top]
Other useful extension options are:
In the second tab of the Options menu, you can select:
- Shortcuts for your bookmarking. You can change these in your browser, so they don't interfere with other shortcuts or extensions.
- Searching for your bookmarks in the Address bar.