With the Search widget, you can perform specific searches directly from your page. Discover images, books, words or other information with ease and speed.
1. Add widget [back to top]
- Tick the Add content button.
- Scroll down to 'Webservices and other,' and click it.
- Locate 'Search,' and click it.
- Click 'Add widget' button to confirm
You can also click the Add content button, and start typing 'Search.' The Search widget will appear below, you can click it, and add the widget from there.
2. Add custom search engine [back to top]
- Go to a new tab with the search engine or website you want to add.
- Perform a search on the site you want to add.
- Now you see the result page of your new search engine.
- In the address field, copy the entire URL, and locate the keyword you've used.
- Return to the Search widget you've just added, and click the 'Add custom search engine' button.
- Type the name of your new search engine.
- In the URL field, paste the URL you've copied.
- Replace the Keyword in the URL with the string %s.
- Click Add to confirm.
3. Context menu [back to top]
Right-click the widget or click the down arrow to open the Context menu. This is where you control the widget. Edit the title, Copy the widget to another start page, or move it around. Delete it entirely.
With the Manage search engines option, you can add new custom search engines to your widget or delete them.
4. General settings [back to top]
In the General settings pane, you can change the name or icon of your Search widget. You can also choose the Default search provider.
Three of them are preinstalled: Bing, Yahoo, and Google. We recommend Google custom search, the dedicated start.me version of Google, because it also allows you to search your bookmarks, and add the search results quickly to your start page.
5. Background settings [back to top]
In the Background settings pane, you can change the color of your widget, the transparency, and apply this style uniformly to all widgets.
6. Resources [back to top]
- For more information about the Search bar, see this support article: https://support.start.me/hc/en-us/articles/200551892-Search-bar-settings.
- In this blog article, you'll also find more information about custom search engines: https://blog.start.me/updates/search-widget-sorting/.