By default, your start.me page is are private and only accessible by you. We provide several options to share your page, with colleagues, students or the entire world.
In this article we'll cover the following topics:
- Introduction to the Share settings
- Collaborate: invite people by e-mail
- Collaborate: Share with a Team
- Share with a Password Protected Link (PRO)
- Share with an Open Link (free)
- Share with the entire world (incl. Google)
- Submit your page to the Page Gallery
1. Introduction to the Share settings [back to top]
Page owners will see a "Share" button in the header of their page.
Clicking this button will open the Share settings for this page.
Now you see a few options:
- Collaborate privately. You can invite other people to view or even edit your start.me page. They do need a start.me account to do this.
- Collaborate as a team. In a team you can share pages in a dedicated workspace. It starts with 20 team members (they all get a PRO subscription) and offers many other advantages.
- Share access with the page link. You can grant access only with a password, as an open link, or a public link. You can even submit pages and share it with the start.me community.
2. Collaborate: invite people by e-mail [back to top]
Even though a page is private by default, you can still share it with anyone you trust.
So, let's imagine you've made a Marketing dashboard, you want to show to a client, so they can give you feedback. The page isn't ready for publication or sharing with a larger group (yet).
- Click the Share button, in the header of your page.
- Under Collaborate locate the address box and start typing an email address.
- Click Invite to send the invitation.
Now the person you've invited can accept the invitation and create a start.me account to start viewing the page. If you want to grant edit rights, transfer ownership, or revoke access by selecting the dropdown behind the person's name.
3. Collaborate: Share with a Team [back to top]
If you want to share the page with team, you can do that too. If you share the page, you still decide the access rights:
- Restricted access to selected members.
- Everyone van view.
- Everyone can edit.
You can also easily and quickly unshare a page from the team and make it private again.
There are also some other advantages that come with working in a team:
- Sharing pages on a custom sub domain (e.g. https://yourteam.start.me)
- Setting a page slug to get friendlier URLs (e.g. https://yourteam.start.me/dashboard instead of https://yourteam.start.me/p/Djskjhs)
- Additional layout and branding options
- Creating a start portal you can use to replace your current intranet or extranet solution
Click here for more information about start.me for Teams.
4. Share with a Password Protected Link (PRO) [back to top]
For added security, you can set a generic password for your page. Only the people you shared the password with, will be able to view your page.
- Click the Link settings tab.
- Now you'll see the unique link of your start.me page. You'll also see the current status of your page. It will be private by default. Click the Protected link option.
- Enter a password of at least four characters. There are no other requirements. Click Save to continue or Cancel to abort. If you don't set a password, the page will be still be protected and not accessible by anyone but you or the people you invite.
- After setting your password, click the Copy link button to copy the page address.
You can paste it into your mail client to share it.
- Click done to continue.
You can always remove the password altogether.
5. Share with an Open Link (free) [back to top]
If you share a page as an Open link, visitors don't need a start.me account to see the page.
- Click the Link settings tab and select Open Link.
- In the page address field, you'll notice two buttons.
- With the first one, you can copy the link to your page, and paste it later into your text.
- The second one is the Share link options. With it, you can embed your page, share it socially (we support Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn), or send it by email.
- Click outside the window, to continue.
6. Share with the entire world (incl. Google) [back to top]
You can also make your pages available and searchable for anyone online. This includes all search engines and bots, including Google. Simply click "Public Link" in the list of options in the Link settings tab.
To make sure your page gets noticed, add a Page description.
7. Submit your page to the Page Gallery [back to top]