By default, your start.me page is are private and only accessible by you. We provide several options to share your page, with colleagues, students or the entire world.
In this article we'll cover the following topics:
- Introduction to the Share settings
- Share a page privately (invite people by e-mail)
- Share with an Open Link (free)
- Share with a Password Protected Link (PRO)
- Share with a Team
- Share with the entire world (incl. Google)
- Submit your page to the Page Gallery
1. Introduction to the Share settings [back to top]
Page owners will see a "Share" button in the header of their page.
Clicking this button will open the Share settings for this page.
The Belongs to dropdown shows up if you are a member of a team. NB: If you don't have a team, you will not see this option.
In the Who has access dropdown you'll find the following options:
Only you and invited people can access your page.
All members of the team can view the page. If you don't have a team, you will not see this option.
- Protected Link (PRO-Feature)
Only people with the link address and the password can view this page.
- Open Link
Only people with the link address can view this page.
- Public Link
Anyone on the internet can view the page. Furthermore, Google and other search engines will find and index your page.
2. Share a page privately (invite people by e-mail) [back to top]
Even though a page is private by default, you can still share it with anyone you trust.
So, let's imagine you've made a Marketing dashboard, you want to show to a client, so they can give you feedback. The page isn't ready for publication or sharing with a larger group (yet).
- Click the Share button, in the header of your page.
- In Who has access, select the option Private.
- In the option Invite people, you can invite someone by email. You decide if they can only view your page or edit it as well (PRO feature).
- Click the + icon to send the invitation. Then, click outside the Share dialogue to continue.
You can always change the view or edit privileges later.
People you invite need a (free) start.me account to see your page. The page will show up in their list of personal pages, as followed (). If they want to remove the page from their personal pages, they can click the heart again, to unfollow.
3. Share with an Open Link [back to top]
If you share a page as an Open link, visitors don't need a start.me account to see the page.
- In the Who has access section, select the second option: Open link.
- You'll see the address of the page. There are two buttons.
- With the first one, you can copy the link to your page, and paste it later into your text.
- The second one is the Share link options. With it, you can embed your page, share it socially (we support Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn), or send it by email.
- Click outside the window, to continue.
4. Share with a Protected link (PRO) [back to top]
For extra security you can set a generic password for your page. Only the people you shared the password with, will be able to view your page.
- Select Protected link in the Who has access dropdown.
- Enter a password of at least four characters. There are no other requirements. Click Save to continue or Cancel to abort. If you don't set a password, the page will be still be protected and not accessible by anyone but you or the people you invite.
- After setting your password, click the Copy link button to copy the page address.
You can paste it into your mail client to share it.
- Click outside the window to continue.
You can always change this setting later or remove the invitation altogether.
5. Share with a team [back to top]
For organizations of all sizes (companies, schools, non-profits, etc.) our Team plan offer several advanced sharing features, including:
- Sharing pages on a custom sub domain (e.g. https://yourteam.start.me)
- Setting a page slug to get friendlier URLs (e.g. https://yourteam.start.me/dashboard instead of https://yourteam.start.me/p/Djskjhs)
- Additional layout and branding options
- Creating a start portal you can use to replace your current intranet or extranet solution
Click here for more information about start.me for Teams.
6. Share as "Public Link" to the entire world (incl. Google) [back to top]
You can also make your pages available and searchable for anyone online. This includes all search engines and bots, including Google. Simply click "Public Link" in the list of options under "Who has access".
7. Submit your page to the Page Gallery [back to top]