To import your browser bookmarks, you need to install the New Tab Page extension, or the Bookmarker by start.me extension. The extensions will work in Chrome and most Chromium based browsers. For Firefox and Edge, we have developed a dedicated extension.
If you want to import bookmarks from other browsers, you click the 'Import & Export' button in your Add content window. In this article, we explain your import options.
- Import bookmarks from Google Chrome
- Import bookmarks from Edge
- Import bookmarks from other browsers
- Import bookmarks from an HTML file
- Import RSS feeds
- Import from webpage
1. Import bookmarks from Google Chrome [back to top]
If you want to import your Chrome bookmarks, you can do this with the start.me Chrome extension.
- Make sure you have installed the Chrome New Tab extension. For detailed instructions read this article.
- You'll see the start.me icon next to the Address bar. Click this button.
- Click the Options button (cog icon).
- Click the button Import.
- An additional pop-up will appear, to give start.me permission to access the bookmarks in your Chrome browser. Click Allow.
- Your bookmarks will now be imported into a new page, called Imported bookmarks.
You might have to refresh your start.me page to see your bookmarks.
2. Import bookmarks from Edge [back to top]
Edge is built on the Chromium platform. It offers a dedicated Edge Web Store, where you can find and install our extension. The procedure is identical to the one for Chrome. Here's the direct link to import bookmarks to Edge.
3. Import bookmarks from other browsers [back to top]
If you want to import bookmarks directly from other browsers, this is possible with the extension. The browser should be built on the Chromium platform:
- Iron browser (a start.me partner)
- Kinza browser (a start.me partner)
- Torch browser (a start.me partner)
- Vivaldi (a start.me partner)
Here's how you get the extension:
- Click the Plus icon in the header.
- Go to Import bookmarks.
- Select the second tab and click From Chrome.
- Then click Install extension.
After installing the Chrome extension, follow the procedure for Google Chrome.
4. Import bookmarks from an HTML file [back to top]
If you want to import bookmarks from another bookmarking service, like Symbaloo or Pocket, you can use this method. You can use this method also for browsers we don't support with an extension, like Firefox, Pale Moon, and Safari.
The first thing you do is export your bookmarks to an HTML file. Check the help section of the bookmarking service or browser you want to use.
Once you've got your HTML file, you open your start.me page.
- Click the Plus icon.
- Locate the Import bookmarks button, and click it.
- In the first tab, From file, click the Browse button. Locate the HTML file that contains your bookmarks and select it.
- Click Import to confirm.
- Now you see the Admin panel of your account. Here you can select the folders you want to import.
Once you are content with your selection, click Import to confirm.
Your new bookmarks will be imported to a new page. Sometimes you must refresh the page, for the new bookmarks to appear.
Note: you can use this method also for importing Browser bookmarks.
5. Import RSS feeds [back to top]
The first thing you do is export your RSS feeds to an OPML file. The method to achieve this depends on the bookmarking solution or browser you use. Once you've got your OPML file, you open your start.me page.
- Click the Plus icon in the header.
- Click the option Newsfeed (RSS). A new popup will appear.
- Click the More icon, in the top right corner. Then click Import.
- Now click Browse, locate the RSS file you've previously created. Then click Import to continue.
- Refresh your start.me page to see your newly imported feeds.
6. Import from webpage [back to top]
First, make sure that the page you want to import isn't locked behind a password.
Next, visit the website and copy the URL.
Return to your start.me page to start importing:
- Click the Add content button (+ icon in the header).
- Choose the Import bookmarks.
- Locate the third tab From webpage and click it.
- Now paste the URL from your clipboard into the address field.
- Click Import to start importing the entire page.
- We'll take you to the My imports panel in your Account, so you can monitor the process.
When the process is done, you'll see the page in your Pages menu, and in the header. The bookmarks will be in separate Bookmark widgets, which you can copy, move, drag and drop as usual.
You'll also receive a notification by email to confirm your import has been a success.
7. Resources [back to top]
- In this support article, we've only talked about importing bookmarks and RSS feeds. Read this tutorial if you want to learn more about exporting bookmarks from Google Chrome: https://www.wikihow.com/Export-Bookmarks-from-Chrome.
- For learning about exporting from Firefox, read this article: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-firefox-bookmarks-to-backup-or-transfer.
- If you want to export your bookmarks and RSS feeds from start.me to another browser, check out this support article: https://support.start.me/hc/en-us/articles/200580451-Export-Bookmarks-Feeds.