The Bookmarks widget is the most crucial building block of your start.me page. This widget is where you keep all your bookmarks. You can put as many Bookmark widgets on your page as you want to. You can organize them, drag them around and personalize them — everything you need to navigate the internet efficiently.
- Make a bookmark
- Make multiple bookmarks
- Import bookmarks
- Move or change one bookmark
- Context menu
- Open in New window
- Broken link checker
- Open all links at once
1. Make a bookmark [back to top]
There are several different ways to add a bookmark to your start.me page.
Add a bookmark widget with the green + icon.
- To add a bookmark widget to your page, click the green "+ icon" in the top right corner of your page (Add content).
- Start typing the URL of the website you want to add. Some examples or options will appear.
- Click the option: 'Bookmark'.
- If it's your first bookmark, it will automatically appear in a widget called 'New widget.' You can change its settings later on.
Add a bookmark directly to the widget.
- To add a bookmark directly to the widget, click the + sign in the top-right corner of the widget. A 'Add bookmark to new widget' pane will open.
- Begin typing the URL of the site you want to add. As you're typing, you're searching our database. Chances are, we've found it before you have.
- Whenever you see the site, you want to add, click it and confirm by pressing the 'Add' button below.
Repeat the process, if you want to add more then one bookmark.
Add a bookmark with the extension, add-on or bookmarklet
- Make sure you've added the Chrome extension, Firefox Add-on or Bookmarklet to your browser. You can find more information in the section dedicated to installing start.me to your browser.
- After you've installed the bookmarklet, add-on or extension, you can continue surfing and save as you go.
- Click the start.me button.
- A dialogue window will open. Now you can accept or change the name of the bookmark you'd like to save, the URL and the Bookmark widget.
- Click Save.
2. Add multiple bookmarks [back to top]
There are situations where it's useful to be able to make numerous bookmarks at once. You might want to import a list of bookmarks from a spreadsheet, for example. Or a list of bookmarks you've discovered online.
- Copy a list of bookmarks (Crtl-C or Cmnd-C)
- Go to the destination Bookmark widget
- Go to the top right corner of your Bookmark widget. A plus will appear. Click it, to add bookmarks.
- In the Add bookmarks pane, click the option 'Multiple URLs'
- Now paste the bookmarks you've copied.
You can also use the extension to add multiple open tabs at once to a single bookmark widget. Read about it on our blog: https://blog.start.me/updates/new-one-click-to-open-multiple-links-in-new-tabs/.
3. Import bookmarks [back to top]
Another way to fill up your bookmark widgets is by importing them from other browsers. You can find all the information on this support article about importing bookmarks & RSS feeds.
4. Move or change one bookmark [back to top]
Drag and drop
Once you've added your bookmarks, you can easily organize them by dragging and dropping them wherever you need them.
When you use a touchscreen device, dragging and dropping won't work. We've had to disable this function, to prevent accidental moving. You can still use drag and drop. First, make sure both Bookmark widgets are in Edit mode (Context menu). Then you can drag and drop as usual. You can find more detailed information in this support article: https://support.start.me/hc/en-us/articles/360001414560-Move-bookmarks-between-touch-devices
Right-click bookmark menu
When you right-click a bookmark, broken or not broken, you see the Right Click Bookmark menu.
With this menu, you can open the link in a new window, edit the link or title of your bookmark. Delete the bookmark, copy the link to paste it in an external program.
Show details: this option opens the site you've bookmarked and displays some useful background information. Google search results, Wikipedia pages, Alexa ranking, and Google Trends.
Add Bookmark: Manually add a new Bookmark to the widget.
5. Settings [back to top]
Our Bookmarks widgets come with many different settings. You can access them all by clicking the top right options button.
Now click Settings.
Our Settings pane is divided into three tabs:
- Change the Title of your bookmark.
- Add a Description. This option is especially useful when you share your pages with co-workers or students. They will only be visible when you select 'Detailed list.'
- Select Icon, which gives you the opportunity to select one from our database or upload one yourself.
- Here you can choose to Show your bookmarks as a simple list, a detailed list, as icons, or in a cloud display.
- You can change the Icon size.
- You can decide how many icons you will Display in your Bookmarks widget. You can choose to show zero or all bookmarks, or select any number up to 50. Whenever you decide to hide some of the bookmarks available, an option to show 'All bookmarks' will appear. You can always toggle back.
- When you change the transparency, you decide how much the widget will stand out.
- With Background, you can decide the color of your widget.
Just try them all out, and see what you prefer.
6. Context menu [back to top]
Another way to interact with our Bookmark widgets is through the Context menu.
Click the options icon in the top right corner.
Now you can:
- Edit the widget directly.
- Copy the widget to another page. To a shared page, for example, to inform your family or colleagues.
- Move the widget to another page, without leaving a trace of it on your original page.
- Sort bookmarks in many different ways, including by age (very useful if you decide to clean up your collection).
- Open the Settings pane.
- Delete the widget entirely.
- Go to our Help section.
7. Open in new window [back to top]
If you want to open your bookmarks in a new tab, you can configure this in your User Preferences.
You open them by clicking the User icon in your top right corner.
Then click Preferences and toggle the Open in new window option.
8. Broken link checker [back to top]
The Broken Link Checker will show a strike through your broken links. When you click the broken link, a dialogue window will appear.
This feature is available to PRO members only. You'll find more info here: https://start.me/pro.
9. Open all links at once [back to top]
Many of our users use the Bookmarks widget to gather and order a number of links they access every day. For example, they use them to check multiple sources to update a tracker, or to monitor their competition or social accounts. If you had to open all links one by one, this would become time-consuming. That's why we added an 'Open all links at once' option to our Bookmark widget.
You can locate it in the header of your widget. Don't worry about clicking it by mistake: we'll always ask you if you're sure you want us to open multiple tabs at once.
Also, we've disabled this feature on touch devices.
10. Resources [back to top]
- There are many resources online, designed to help you put some order to your bookmarking challenges. start.me isn't the only option available. Here's an excellent overview article. Just remember to read through until the comments! https://lifehacker.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-organizing-your-messy-chrome-book-1826770044
- We've regularly added items about bookmarking to our blog. Be sure to check it out. For example: here's an article about adding multiple bookmarks at once: https://blog.start.me/how-to/multiple-bookmarks/.