The Bookmarks widget is the most crucial building block of your start.me page. This widget is where you keep all your bookmarks. You can put as many Bookmark widgets on your page as you want to. You can organize them, drag them around and personalize them. Everything you need to navigate the internet efficiently.
- Make a bookmark
- Make multiple bookmarks
- Import bookmarks
- Drag and Drop
- Context menu
- Open in New window
- Broken link checker
1. Make a bookmark [back to top]
There are several different ways to add a bookmark to your start.me page.
Add a bookmark, using the green + icon.
- To add a bookmark widget to your page, click the green "+ icon" in the top right corner of your page (Add content).
- Start typing the URL of the website you want to add. Some examples or options will appear.
- Click the option: 'Bookmark'.
- If it's your first bookmark, it will automatically be placed in a widget called 'New widget.' You can change its settings later on.
Add a bookmark directly to the widget.
- To add a bookmark directly to the widget, click the + sign in the top-right corner of the widget. A 'Add bookmark to new widget' pane will open.
- Begin typing the URL of the site you want to add. As you're typing you're searching our database. Chances are, the site you're looking for is already found by us.
- Whenever you see the site you want to add, click it and confirm by pressing the 'Add' button below.
Repeat the process, if you want to add more then one bookmark.
Add a bookmark with the extension, add-on or bookmarklet
- Make sure you've added the Chrome extension, Firefox Add-on or Bookmarklet to your browser. You can find more information in the section dedicated to installing start.me to your browser.
- After you've installed the bookmarklet, add-on or extension, you can to surf to any website you'd like to save.
- Click the start.me button.
- A dialogue window will open. Now you can accept or change the name of the bookmark you'd like to save, the URL and the Bookmark widget you'd like to save it to.
- Click Save.
2. Add multiple bookmarks [back to top]
There are situations where it's useful to be able to make multiple bookmarks at once. You might want to import a list of bookmarks from a spreadsheet, for example. Or a list of bookmarks you've discovered online.
This is how it works:
- Copy a column of bookmarks (Crtl-C or Cmnd-C)
- Go to the Bookmark widget you want to add your bookmarks to.
- Go to the top right corner of your Bookmark widget. A plus will appear. Click it, to add bookmarks.
- In the Add bookmarks pane, click the option 'Multiple URLs'
- Now paste the bookmarks you've just copied.
If you want to add multiple bookmarks to a new widget, first click the green plus. Then click the first option: 'Bookmarks widget. Create a new widget for bookmarks.'
3. Import bookmarks [back to top]
Another way to fill up your bookmark widgets is by importing them from other browsers. You can find all the information on this support article about importing bookmarks & RSS feeds.
4. Drag and Drop [back to top]
Once you've added your bookmarks, you can easily organize them by dragging and dropping them wherever you need them. Just try it out!
5. Settings [back to top]
Our Bookmarks widgets come with many different settings. You can access them all by clicking the top right options button.
Now click Settings.
Our Settings pane is divided into three tabs:
- Change the Title of your bookmark.
- Add a Description. This is especially useful when you share your pages with co-workers or students. They will only be visible when you select 'Detailed list'.
- Select Icon, which gives you the opportunity to select one from our database or upload one yourself.
- Here you can choose to Show your bookmarks as a simple list, a detailed list, as icons, or in a cloud display.
- You can change the Icon size.
- You can decide how many icons you will Display in your Bookmarks widget.
- When you change the transparency, you decide how much the widget will stand out from the background.
- With Background you can decide the color of your widget.
Just try them all out, and see what you prefer.
6. Context menu [back to top]
Another way to interact with our Bookmark widgets is through the Context menu.
Click the options icon in the top right corner.
Now you can:
- Edit the widget directly.
- Copy the widget to another page. To a shared page, for example, to inform your family or colleagues.
- Move the widget to another page, without leaving a trace of it on your original page.
- Sort bookmarks in many different ways, including by age (very useful if you decide to clean up your collection).
- Open the Settings pane.
- Delete the widget entirely.
- Go to our Help section.
7. Open in new window [back to top]
If you want to open your bookmarks in a new tab, you can configure this in your User Preferences.
You open them by clicking the User icon in your top right corner.
Then click Preferences and toggle the Open in new window option.
8. Broken link checker [back to top]
The Broken Link Checker will show a strike through your broken links. When you click the broken link, a dialogue window will appear.
This feature is available to PRO members only. You'll find more info here: https://start.me/pro.
9. Resources [back to top]
- There are many resources online, designed to help you put some order to your bookmarking challenges. start.me isn't the only option available. Here's a nice overview article. Just remember to read through until the comments! https://lifehacker.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-organizing-your-messy-chrome-book-1826770044
- We've regularly added articles about bookmarking to our blog. Be sure to check it out. For example: here's an article about adding multiple bookmarks at once: https://blog.start.me/how-to/multiple-bookmarks/.