A custom domain (e.g., https://yourcompany.start.me) allows you to to setup Single Sign On for your team, customize your team portal with additional branding/layout features and it provides people with a friendly URL for your team pages.
- Request a team domain
- Manage Team Portal layout
- Configure your authentication methods
- Whitelist e-mail domain(s)
- Single Sign-On
- IP Whitelisting
1. Request a custom domain [back to top]
Click the "Team portal & SSO" link in the menu to go to the Team portal section. Click the Request team domain button. If the desired custom domain is available, you it will be granted to you immediately.
2. Manage Team Portal layout [back to top]
Once you've set up your custom domain, you'll see some new options to your Team portal menu:
- Portal startpage: select the startpage for your public team portal. This is the page that non-logged in users will see when they go to your custom domain.
- Background image: Upload a background picture for your Sign-In and Sign-Up pages.
- Settings to toggle on or off:
- Hide sign-up button
This hides the "Sign-up" button in the right top corner of your portal. Hide it if you do not want people to sign-up and join your team.
- Hide sign-in button
This will hide the "Sign-in" button in the right top corner of your portal. Hide it if you do not want people to sign-in to start.me.
- Hide search bar
This will hide the large search bar that is shown in the top of your page.
- Hide pages bar
This will hide the sub menu of pages. Hide it if you want extra space or avoid people to navigate between your different team pages.
- Hide cookie consent bar
This will hide the cookie consent bar that first-time visitors of your team portal will see in the bottom of their page. Only disable if you have asked for cookie consent in another way.
- Hide footerThis will hide the footer links and start.me branding on your team portal.
- Open links in a new window
This will make sure that all links clicked on your team pages are automatically openend in a new browser window. Only works for non-logged in users, as for logged-in users this is a personal setting that can be found in the User Menu.
- Hide sign-up button
Note: All changes you make, may take several minutes to appear on your team portal.
3. Configure your authentication methods [back to top]
With your custom domain, you get to decide the login options provides to team members when they go to the login page (e.g. https://customdomain.start.me/users/sign_in).
Example: Does your business use the G(oogle) suite, and do you want your employees only to login using their work account? Toggle on Google and keep the other toggles disabled.
Available (social) authentication methods:
4. Whitelist e-mail domain(s) [back to top]
You can allow anyone with an email address from a specific email domain to join your team on start.me.
Example: if your business e-mail domain is @marketing.com, every person with a @marketing.com e-mail address (e.g., email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org) will be able to join your team automatically.
To whitelist an e-mail domain:
- Type the e-mail domain in the dialogue. You can add
- Click the Plus to confirm.
- Click Save Settings to apply your changes.
Changes may take several minutes to implement. You can add multiple e-mail domains.
You can now share the following URL with users you want to invite to your team on start.me:
5. Single Sign-On (SSO) [back to top]
For Enterprise customers we providing additional SSO options. We currently support the following authentication standards:
Send an email to email@example.com to request SSO for your team.
6. IP Whitelisting [back to top]
For Enterprise customers we provide an IP Whitelisting option. This means that only people from a determined and controlled IP Address can access your custom domain.
With this feature, you can add a layer of security to your pages. You can also make it possible for your employees or team members to log in and access your shared pages without a username or password.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request IP Whitelisting for your team.